One day at a time...

This past weekend has been one of the biggest roller coaster rides we have ever been through. Friday after school I began to have pain and tightening in my stomach. I started to count them and I soon realized that they were contractions...not the Braxton Hicks but the real thing...every 3 to 5 minutes. Panic set in, especially since I was by myself. I talked to my doctor's office and they recommended several things to stop the contractions. I tried everything short of standing on my head...elevating my feet, drinking water, and even sitting in a warm bath. However, those things didn't work, so as soon as Matt got home we headed for the hospital. It was early enough that Matt's mom was still there and everyone was expecting us. We got hooked up to the contraction monitor and they found both girls heartbeat (still one of the most amazing sounds, especially when you are scared!) They observed me and confirmed that I was having contractions and they were consistent. The nurse checked me and I wasn't dilating and the girls were still high, which was great news but the contractions had to stop so that it would not progress anything. They then gave me a drug that was to relax me and hopefully stop the contractions. It made me very relaxed but did not stop the contractions. We were then on to round 2...a different medicine to stop the contractions. After 3 rounds of shots and about 6 hours the contractions slowed to one every 15 minutes. The doctor was happy with this and gave me some medicine to help me sleep and sent us home. I was so glad to be going home and I thought that after a good nights rest the contractions would be gone and life would resume as 'normal'!
I had a great nights sleep and woke up Saturday morning feeling good. I got to have my favorite breakfast, french toast, in bed. After I ate the contractions came back...one every 5 minutes. We called the doctor again and he said to come back to the hospital. Once again we got hooked up to all the monitors and they saw that the contractions were in fact back again. The doctor decided to try the same medicine to see if it would work again. After 6 hours and 3 shots the contractions were stopped. This time the doctor gave me a prescription for the medicine in a pill form, told me that I was going to be on bed rest and that I needed to come to the clinic on Monday for more observation. He also gave me a steroid shot to help progress the girls lungs just in case they came early.
So now we are taking it one day at a time. Each day is a milestone. Each day is another day stronger. Each day the girls have a better chance of not only survival but being healthy. So my life is now just being thankful for one day at a time.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you're having contractions- sad the baby shower got canceled- but it's for the best = ) Hopefully everything continues to go well for the little girls!

    ReplyDelete