April 12, 2011

Four Days Old

Payton 4 pounds 4 ounces
McKinley 3 pounds 13 ounces

This morning the both of the girls iv fluids were reduced, the doctors hope that they will be off of iv fluids soon. They were also moved to a covered bed. We were really excited about this because the new bed is climate controlled and will allow them to be warmer and it is quieter for them to get good rest. The doctors increase both girls feedings. Payton will not be getting 15 mL every 3 hours and McKinley will get 9 mL.


Hanging out in the new bed!

This morning I was also released from the hospital. I was glad to be able to leave but sad because we would be leaving the girls. I was also concerned because Matt was back at work and I still wouldn't be able to drive so it made things complicated because I needed to be able to come up and see the girls during the day. Thankfully, right before checking out we were offered one of the hospitals family rooms. It was a very small room right outside the NICU. We were so fortunate to have this opportunity to stay with the girls.



This afternoon I got the all clear from the doctors to nurse the girls every 3 hours. They had been hesitant to let me feed because the goal is for the girls to gain weight and they cannot monitor their calorie intake if I nurse them. Right now the girls are still practicing how to suck so I will alternate feeding each girl, Payton will nurse one time and McKinley the next. They will be given formula the feeding that I don't nurse them and supplemented with formula if needed. I was so excited to get to feed my girls.



Later this evening the girls iv fluids were lowered again! Once their iv's are taken out they will be moved from the critical NICU to the non-critical care. Their formula feedings were also increased again, Payton will now take 20 mL and McKinley 12 mL. The girls are growing and needing more calories.
Right before the 8:30 feeding both of the girls were wiggling around and managed to pull out their iv's. The nurses said that everything looked great and they would try to not replace them. The girls will be monitored and if everything stays normal the girls will be off iv fluids! I think the girls are very smart and pulled their iv out on purpose to get to move out of the critical NICU! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment