Five Days Old
Payton 4 pounds 4 ounces
McKinley 3 pounds 14 ounces
This morning during our first visit we were told that the girls iv's had to be replaced over night because they did not have enough wet diapers. This made me very upset, I am still really emotional and I hate to see them get stuck repeatedly. They told us that the lack of wet diapers could be due to the girls getting more dehydrated from the bilirubin lights or they are not getting enough during the feedings. So, the doctors increased their feedings so that, hopefully, the will have more wet diapers and not need the iv fluids. Payton was increased to 25 mL and McKinley increased to 16mL.
During the late morning the girls were having wet diapers so the iv's were decreased in hopes that they will be out tomorrow. As soon as the girls can maintain without iv's then they get to be moved out of the critical care NICU...we have our fingers crossed they get moved tomorrow!
This afternoon a lactation nurse came and helped me nurse both girls at the same time. It was a big success! The girls ate really well. We discovered that Payton is a very noisy eater! McKinley watched her sister the whole time, I guess she was wondering what all the noise was about!!
This evening when Matt got to the hospital after work we went down to see the girls. The nurses were packing the girls things and told us we were moving to the Step Down NICU! The doctors said that since the iv's were lowered and the girls were doing great they were going to go ahead and move them early. We were so excited!

Our new room!
The Step Down nursery has parent rooming in rooms, so we were going to be in the room with the girls taking care of them. During the move McKinley's iv came out and was not replaced.

Payton: "Hi Dad! I think I am gonna like it here!"

McKinley: "I love my new blankets!"
Tonight was the first night that we were in charge of the girls feedings. I nursed them both at the 9:00 feeding.

Hanging out after the feeding! It is so different in the new room, we are able to take the girls out of their bed and hold them!
The nurses recommended that I pump and bottle feed every other feeding so that we know for sure how much the girls are eating. So, the girls were given their first bottle of breast milk at the midnight feeding.

I fed McKinley and Matt fed Payton.
Sleeping peacefully under the warm lights!!

Payton

McKinley
We are so fortunate to have healthy babies and to be rooming in with our girls.
Payton 4 pounds 4 ounces
McKinley 3 pounds 14 ounces
This morning during our first visit we were told that the girls iv's had to be replaced over night because they did not have enough wet diapers. This made me very upset, I am still really emotional and I hate to see them get stuck repeatedly. They told us that the lack of wet diapers could be due to the girls getting more dehydrated from the bilirubin lights or they are not getting enough during the feedings. So, the doctors increased their feedings so that, hopefully, the will have more wet diapers and not need the iv fluids. Payton was increased to 25 mL and McKinley increased to 16mL.
During the late morning the girls were having wet diapers so the iv's were decreased in hopes that they will be out tomorrow. As soon as the girls can maintain without iv's then they get to be moved out of the critical care NICU...we have our fingers crossed they get moved tomorrow!
This afternoon a lactation nurse came and helped me nurse both girls at the same time. It was a big success! The girls ate really well. We discovered that Payton is a very noisy eater! McKinley watched her sister the whole time, I guess she was wondering what all the noise was about!!
This evening when Matt got to the hospital after work we went down to see the girls. The nurses were packing the girls things and told us we were moving to the Step Down NICU! The doctors said that since the iv's were lowered and the girls were doing great they were going to go ahead and move them early. We were so excited!
Our new room!
The Step Down nursery has parent rooming in rooms, so we were going to be in the room with the girls taking care of them. During the move McKinley's iv came out and was not replaced.
Payton: "Hi Dad! I think I am gonna like it here!"
McKinley: "I love my new blankets!"
Tonight was the first night that we were in charge of the girls feedings. I nursed them both at the 9:00 feeding.
Hanging out after the feeding! It is so different in the new room, we are able to take the girls out of their bed and hold them!
The nurses recommended that I pump and bottle feed every other feeding so that we know for sure how much the girls are eating. So, the girls were given their first bottle of breast milk at the midnight feeding.
I fed McKinley and Matt fed Payton.
Sleeping peacefully under the warm lights!!
Payton
McKinley
We are so fortunate to have healthy babies and to be rooming in with our girls.
No comments:
Post a Comment