One Day Old
Yesterday after the girls were born I was taken into the NICU to see them before moving into my regular room. It was so amazing seeing them for the first time. I was able to hold them briefly and visit with the nurses. It was so wonderful to get to hold them and know that they were going to be fine!

Payton

McKinley
After seeing the girls I was taken to my room so that I could fully recover and rest. That night I didn't sleep very well from the nurses coming in every 3 hours to take my vitals to thinking about the girls in the NICU. The morning of April 9 we were up early! I was determined to get out of bed, take a shower, and go see the girls. Matt and the nurses helped me get ready and within a few hours I was off to see my girls.
When we got into the NICU the nurses reported that Payton's air flow was able to be reduced and McKinley was moved from oxygen to air flow. During the night McKinley was very active and had pulled out her oxygen and feeding tube. I was able to feed them colostrum that I had pumped using a q-tip. They both loved it! McKinley stuck out her tongue for more and Payton sucked on the q-tip!
That afternoon the girls were moved into their own NICU room and were put in the same bed together. They were given their first wipe bath and, of course, hated it! After their bath they were weighed, Payton 4 lb 8 oz and McKinley 3lb 14 oz. They both lost weight, they are expected to lose several ounces from their birth weight.

That night for their 8:00 feeding Matt and I were able to hold them while they were fed through their feeding tube. I held Payton and Matt held McKinley. Payton also practiced nursing, such a wonderful experience for both of us!
The girls had a great first day and are progressing very well! We are the luckiest parents to be given 2 beautiful little girls!
Yesterday after the girls were born I was taken into the NICU to see them before moving into my regular room. It was so amazing seeing them for the first time. I was able to hold them briefly and visit with the nurses. It was so wonderful to get to hold them and know that they were going to be fine!
Payton
McKinley
After seeing the girls I was taken to my room so that I could fully recover and rest. That night I didn't sleep very well from the nurses coming in every 3 hours to take my vitals to thinking about the girls in the NICU. The morning of April 9 we were up early! I was determined to get out of bed, take a shower, and go see the girls. Matt and the nurses helped me get ready and within a few hours I was off to see my girls.
When we got into the NICU the nurses reported that Payton's air flow was able to be reduced and McKinley was moved from oxygen to air flow. During the night McKinley was very active and had pulled out her oxygen and feeding tube. I was able to feed them colostrum that I had pumped using a q-tip. They both loved it! McKinley stuck out her tongue for more and Payton sucked on the q-tip!
That afternoon the girls were moved into their own NICU room and were put in the same bed together. They were given their first wipe bath and, of course, hated it! After their bath they were weighed, Payton 4 lb 8 oz and McKinley 3lb 14 oz. They both lost weight, they are expected to lose several ounces from their birth weight.
That night for their 8:00 feeding Matt and I were able to hold them while they were fed through their feeding tube. I held Payton and Matt held McKinley. Payton also practiced nursing, such a wonderful experience for both of us!
The girls had a great first day and are progressing very well! We are the luckiest parents to be given 2 beautiful little girls!
No comments:
Post a Comment